On Ascension Day, 1943, approximately 50 people gathered for the first Episcopal worship service in Esterbrook on the porch of Freeman Lodge. Only 25 days later the people held a picnic and together they cut and peeled over 100 logs to build this magical little church, with the majestic Elk Mountain forming its backdrop. The church building was officially dedicated in 1946 at the Church of the Ascension. It is now serving as a local “Community Church” that is interdenominational and ecumenical in make-up. It is a popular site for weddings due to the beauty of its setting.